Loutro, Crete

At the end of Cape Mouri, about 85km south of Chania is the attractive seaside village of Loutro which is very popular with tourists during the summer season. It takes its name from the ancient baths which were discovered in the area and from which water was redirected to nearby Anopolis.

Loutro is considered to be the site of the ancient city of Finikas, referred to in the Acts of the Apostles in the New Testament, and was also the port of ancient Anopolis. In later times it became the winter port used by Sfakia as its position is in an enclosed bay which creates a natural, safe harbour in bad, wintry conditions.

Places to visit and/or enjoy are the many older buildings in the village centre, amongst which is the Municipal Building used by the very first government in 1821. Close by are the ruins of ancient Anopolis and also the ancient town of Aradena with its Byzantine Church of Archangel Michael.